Friday, October 15, 2010

WORS #12 Wigman

Something felt different about the last WORS event of the year, I had a good feeling.  My legs were feeling good and my mind was in the right place.  Going up against these Pro's is tough and usually leaves me pretty nervous but I wasn't nervous this time, I was excited.  Excited to put the late season training to the test, measure up for next year, end an awesome WORS series, and prove to myself I have what it takes to ride at a high level.

The course was so fun.  It included fast winding single track mostly flat but a couple power climbs.  The most difficult part to it was the roots in about every section of the trail.  It made for a bumpy ride and the single skill I lack was exposed by all the bouncing.  It did not deter my all out all the time strategy.  I was going to give every ounce of effort as long as I could.  The start was competitive with the lead out on an open road finding its way into a bottle neck to start the single track.  I went in about 8th or so and was OK with that for all the jostling that occurred.  Just ahead I could the 2 groups slowly pull away and but at that point there was nothing I could do.  Within 2 minutes of the race I had to change strategy and that's how fast things can happen in MTB.

I rode in the 3rd group for 2 laps until I was slowly dropped.  I ended up with Krayer and he worked hard to get us back up to the group but we never succeeded.  We were caught by 2 other riders and I rode with them for a 1/2 lap or so until I could not keep pace.  I went out so hard on the first 3 laps that I started to pay the price for it on the 4th.  I lost over 1 1/2 minutes on that lap and went into damage control for the 5th lap.  I went as hard as my body would allow it which was about the same speed as the previous lap.  Although not one of my best laps I was able to pull within 6 seconds of 10th place and I worked hard to catch it but just ran out of space.  I came 11th on the day.  I missed payout by 1 position.  I was a bit disapointed about that but I was overall happy with my race.  I went out hard and kept it as long as I could.  One thing that made it so difficult is it seemed everyone was on their game that day.  So many strong guys had great races.  All considered I ended on a great note.

Here is a video blog the night before the race.





       

No comments:

Post a Comment