Friday, October 15, 2010

Wisconsin Off Road Series

It was bitter sweet to be at the final WORS event of the year.  I was so excited to get this one going and give an all out effort but I was also ready for it to be over as the season can wear on you.  Bottom line, doing 11 out of the 12 WORS events has been difficult.  It has taken a lot time, travel, and dedication.  We race against the best mountain bikers in the Midwest arguably the country ever 2 weeks.  It becomes fatiguing both mentally and physically.


Being so new to the series I had no clue what to expect and I set no expectations.  Seems like forever ago but I started at the Comp level.  I raced Iola and Rhinelander in Comp finishing 2nd and 1st overall respectively.  Then I was thrusted into overdrive and racing against the big boys.  What I did not know at the time is I could race with the big boys.  If you would have asked me then I would have been happy with a top 20-25 finish every time.  It was that first Elite race in Wausau that changed the direction of my year.  My first Elite event ever I placed 9th place.  That is a top 10 finish with 6 professionals at the event.  I went from happy to be there to I can compete with these guys.  It changed the way I thought, the way I trained, and the way I rode.  It made me a believer that with hard work I can do this.  


The rest of the year I had a goal to always be top 15-20.  The next race I did and I finished 17th.  With some good upgrade points and two respectable finishes I was now in the overall top 10 standings.  I was shocked, surprised, and any other good feeling you that goes with it.  I was in the top 10 in the Elite class in my first year of competition.  I didn't even have this in my sites 6 weeks ago and now I'm getting call ups behind Brian Matter, Tristan Schouten, Nathan Guerra, Chris Peariso and Darrin Braun.  I had caught the bug and didn't want to lose it.  I wanted to keep that top 10 for the rest of the season.  I knew it meant consistent results, a lot of travel, and hard training days but I was willing.              

The year continued and every 2 weeks it was regular to pack the car on Friday and start driving.  I made it to 11 out of the 12 races.  The only one I missed was because it was a make up from a prior date and I had another raced planned.  The experience I gained at every event cannot be measured by words.  I learned to be racer, how to handle my bike, my body, and my mind.  There is so much more to this sport than the fitness.  You need a strong mind, strong family, a good bike, supportive sponsors, and a bit of good luck.  All this learned and I have so much more to learn.  This first year experience is priceless and I felted honored to learn from a great series and awesome riders.  I can see why this series produces the best of the best and I hope to be there someday.

A year as good as this would not be possible without the following:

  • My wife.  My awesome supportive wife, THANK YOU!
  • My family.  Support from family is priceless. They were there at almost every race making sure I had what I needed.
  • My sponsors.  They make my team possible.  Check them out to the right of my blog.
  • George and Ann Neimi.  They were there as much as anyone and I appreciate it.
  • My Culvers Racing teammates.  Great mentors and friends.
  • Tyler Jenema.  For being a training partner and better yet a great friend.
  • My savior Jesus Christ.  He has given me life and blessed me with my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment