Friday, October 5, 2012

WORS #11 Bear Paw

The WORS season is quickly approaching its final races.  As sad as it is to see the season and year reaching its end it is always a great day to be at the final 2 WORS events.  They are 2 of the best courses we do all year and timed perfectly with the best time of year, fall.

White Lake, WI was the race site for this past Sunday and only being 2 1/2 hours from home I was able to sleep in my own bed the night before which is always an advantage.  The ride down south was one of the brightest I've seen in quite awhile.  The yellow on the leaves were vibrant and the air temperature perfect creating a must smile attitude.  Perfect before lining up.


My legs were good in warm up but I didn't know what to expect coming off of my worst week of the year 2 weeks prior.  I had a good week of training and some longer base miles to get my legs back under me.  The first climb came and I settled at the front until Cole took off.  I was happy to see this and knew I could respond.  At the top the attack took 4 of us with including myself, Mike P. and Nathan.  I enjoyed the pace up the climb which set confidence knowing my legs should be good. After the first single track  I let a little gap to to Mike and Cole.  On the next flat I passed Nathan and eventually by the end of the lap attached to Mike but Cole had another 10 seconds on Mike.  I always had them in sight but it took a full lap to get back on.  The course is technical and their skill kept them just out of reach until the two track.  At the end of lap 1 Mike clipped a pedal and was forced off the bike and I was chasing Cole alone.  The start of lap 2 I was with him.  He took the lead in all the single track and I did some work on the 2 track.  Each technical section he would take small lead but nothing I couldn't bring back on a hill or two track.  Although I believe this is where he noticed his advantage  On lap 3 he gave me the lead into some single track.  This ended up being my worst lap and I just couldn't find a rhythm on the bike.  By mid lap Cole took advantage of that and was off the front.  Ending lap 3 I noticed Nathan was coming up behind me with the momentum of a Porsche on a back country road.  He had found his engine and looked on fire.  We were together for a half a lap and I did work on the 2 track as he would shoot in front on the single track.  Eventually his skill rode away from me and left me back in 3rd.  I finished with a descent lap and felt good at the end.

I was happy to come away with 3rd place and some good points towards the overall series.  I wasn't completely satisfied though as I had the legs to win the race but not the skill.  On a course where skill outshines fitness it just wasn't my day up against some smooth riders.  The win would have granted by true wish so I could bring Copper up on the top step with me for his first ever podium visit.  Sunday was one of Coppers last days with us as cancer took the better of him.  I wanted badly to to win for him and show him off on the top step but in true Copper fashion he was just as happy on the 3rd step as he would have been on the top.

National Article

No comments:

Post a Comment