Thursday, October 4, 2012

UPCX Iron Cross

This is always a great time of the year, UPCX comes back.  The UP has a growing following which has allowed the series to bring 9 races to the UP this year.  9! CX races in the Upper Peninsula.  The organizers and volunteers have really done a great job bringing this to us.  The best part of it might be that it is only $10 and you still get all the dirt, sand, mud, grass, pavement, and barriers that any other cross race offers.  

I won't be able to make a majority of the races because of my MTB schedule but I'm taking advantage of everyone I can when I can.  The first was this past weekend at Al Quaal.  It sure is nice to be able to roll out your back door and be at the race venue in 2 1/2 minutes.  Makes for a special and enjoyable race experience.  

I didn't have much of a goal going in other than to stay safe and up right so that I could race another day.  Especially that I had WORS #11 the next day in White Lake.  I kept the up right portion of the deal but gambled with the safe part in the 2nd corner.  Only doing 1 warm up lap and not knowing the speed into the 2nd corner I overshot it with Colby just ahead of me.  I ground his rear cable in my spokes which might be the only thing that kept us upright.  The crash averted I was back on the attack.  I quickly moved out front and by the top of the first run up I had a small gap.  I hit the first lap and second lap at top speed giving myself some breathing room for the ramainder of the race.  I put it in cruise control until the last lap where I challenged myself to put out my best lap time.  My first lap was 5:59 and my final lap was 5:53.  I came away with the win but I was just as happy that my effort was still solid by the 10th and final lap.  








No comments:

Post a Comment