Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Good Life

Elephants, Intervals, Long Rides, Dark Chocolate, Core Work, Espresso, Mothers Day, Sunshine - That is a good week of training.

I had originally planned to race 3 weekends in a row starting with WORS #1 Iola and ending with WORS #2 Rhinelander with the RASTA and Cable in between.  If I would have stuck to the schedule this past weekend would have been the RASTA Rally in Rhinelander, WI.  The race was on Sunday which I hope everyone remembered was Mothers Day.  I used my better judgement and bagged the race to spend it with my mother who without I would not be racing at all.  Her support week in and week out is endless.

My decision to pass on the race ended being a rewarding one.  I had an amazing day with my mother and would not have exchanged any race to replace the day.  The morning was beautiful for a bike ride so my gift to her was taking her out on single track for a 101 session.  She has Mountain Biked in the past but hasn't really had the lessons or the time to experience single track.  She has always wanted to but has feared the unknown.  I spent 2 hours with her and it was amazing what she could do with a few pointers.  I've known where I got my competitiveness and athleticism from but her determination to learn reiterated that.  A morning single track session completed by a perfectly balanced spread.  Thank you to my brothers for cooking while I did the training.  Happy Mothers Day Mom!

Missing the race allowed for a great training weekend.  Saturday I saddled up with a teammate and we did some early season O2S recon.  A ride on the course and back on the roads gave me 5:15 in the saddle.  Sprinkle in some intervals and I was a perfect day in the UP.  The ride gave me a sign of prior and this years base work.  I can say I finally feel like the long hours are paying off because efforts later in rides are feeling much more comfortable.

This week was filled with plenty of sunshine and made each ride a complete enjoyment.  Bonus, I even had a run in with some Elephants.  Yes, Elephants.  Transplanted from Africa living in the wild.  Pretty crazy experience.  OK, not quite.  The circus was in town but it is not usual that you pass an elephant on a training ride.

Here is evidence of the sunshine.  I think I found a new way to melt chocolate over espresso beans, naturally.  The week ended with a great core session at Mattson Park.      

No comments:

Post a Comment