Friday, May 18, 2012

Flying Solo

It is not very often I tackle a race weekend alone as I have the best support crew on the Midwest MTB scene.  But this weekend I'll be racing solo. I'm leaving today for Cable, WI and on Saturday night I will be driving east to Rhinelander, WI.

I will start my weekend at the Lakewoods Resort in Cable, WI for the Cable Off Road Classic.  I've done this race for the past few years and have really enjoyed it.  It has a competitive and good scene and good course that improves every year.  It has been stuck in my back pocket though for the last two years.  2 years ago I took a wrong turn while racing in the top 5 costing me several minutes and a top 10 finish.  Last year I was in the break with Moore and McFadden and I dropped a chain getting back on course after once again our group taking a wrong turn.  I finished 20 seconds down from the podium in 4th.  I've been there 2 years in a row but I need to be a bit more tentative as the last 2 years were my fault.

After the conclusion of the Cable Classic I head 3 hours East to Rhinelander.  I'll head straight to the course and get an easy pre-ride in.  I had one of my best rides in the WORS series in Rhinelander last year placing 6th so I'm excited to return.  Its ironic because I'm not a very technical rider and Rhinelander is a fairly technical course offering a lot of bumpy and turny single track.

This is one of my favorite weekends of the year so riding solo is fine by me.  Small family rumor is this guy might join me on Sunday for the kids race.  That would make my weekend.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment