Tuesday, October 11, 2011

UPCross #2 and WORS #12

This time of year you would think one should be slowing down.  Preparing for an off season of rest and planning.  But for me it's only getting faster and more hectic.  The months of September and October are filled with races with the UPCross series and the final races of WORS.  On top of all that its the time to look forward to 2012 and organize riders and sponsors.  So there is no slowing down here and hopefully that means on the bike too.

UPCross #2 - Ironcross
I missed the opening UPCross race because of a scheduling conflict with WORS #11 so UPCross #2 was my opener.  It was held in Old Town Negaunee right off the Heritage Trail running through the Ghost town that once was Negaunee.  Everything still has it's existence except for the structures that were.  It's an awesome place to be and a great venue for a CX race.  It's tough to set up a traditional CX course but that's what is so unique about it, it has it's own flavor.  Danny Hill did a great job this year making the course favorable to a CX bike while still keeping the unique features of a passed town.

Coming off a larger training week I wasn't sure what to expect from my body and approached the start with caution.  Then, within 20 seconds of the race I was committed and never looked back.  The first part of the race has a quick hole shot with a 10 step run up followed by a grinder.  At the top of the grinder I noticed a small gap on the field and committed myself to an all out effort for the rest of the day.  The course really favored being on your own so I went for it.  Tom (Carp) pushed me into full effort to keep the gap on the first lap as he floated at a close 5 or so seconds.  I hit the 2nd lap with the same effort as the 1st and expanded it slightly more.  The succeeding laps I noticed the same and I fed my inside monster by never letting up.  With every second I gained it fed the legs to push for another.  In the end my legs came around and felt pretty good.  I extended the gap over 2 minutes and earned my first UPCross win of the 11 season.  Next up on the UPCross season is the 2 day Keweenaw Cup.  I had a good success there last year so I'm looking forward to a good weekend.

WORS #12 - Wigwam
This race has an awesome atmosphere that draws excitement out of me a full week in advance.  I'm not sure if its city setting, awesome course, season finale, big crowds, or big payouts but I love everything about it.  I was coming off a good performance at the previous WORS and I wanted nothing less than a podium finish which also burned the excitement into me.  Not an easy task on a tough course and tough crowd but I was determined.

I wanted to be top 3 into the single track but I think everyone had those intentions and I edged in about 6th.  The rooty and swerving course tends to make splits fast and on a hard tail it can take it's toll.  I passed one rider to move up to 5th but at this point the front 3 were gone.  Shriver was in front of me and I knew he would pound the climbs hard so I worked to get his wheel but never attached.  At the end of lap 1 it was me and Eppen chasing Shriver and the front group.  Mid way through the 2nd lap I came around Eppen and was alone for the remaining 2nd lap and 3rd.  Up to this point I knew the guys up front were pounding at each other so I decided to do the same and never really came off the gas.  My efforts were intense but I still noticed 2 riders approaching.  It took a bit out of me knowing 2 were approaching and I was gunning at every opportunity.  Ending the 3rd lap I decided to sit up and wait and reanalyze the plan.  It was Eppen and McConnell.  McConnell did all the work up front and was riding an awesome pace through the unforgiving root fields as Eppen and I bounced uncontrollably on our hard tails.  The beginning efforts and endless bouncing were taking it's toll on me.  Eppen pulled out with a flat leaving McConnell and I.  I never did come around him and he got to ride his pace for the rest of the race.  It was made even more difficult with a lot of lapped riders on a tight course.  We came into the last field together and I made my move.  I edged him to the hill and we got to lapped riders which forced me to a bad line and a double leg cramp.  I recovered quickly and restarted the sprint but it wasn't enough as McConnell edged me by .1 seconds.  (Yes, that's a period in front of the one, .1 seconds.  Darn that's close.)  That was for the last podium spot so I was really disappointed in myself.  Disappointed, yes but I was OK with what happened.  Don't get me wrong, I was not OK losing.  I never am but when someone is better on that day and deserves it you give credit where credit is due.  McConnell controlled that last lap and he deserved that sprint.  I finished 6th.  

The WORS series comes to an end but that wrap up is for another post.  I have plenty of racing to come in October and early November so keep in touch.                     

No comments:

Post a Comment