Wednesday, October 19, 2011

State of Seclusion

One of my favorite weekends of the year was this past weekend, UPCross Keweenaw Cup in Copper Harbor.  There is something about it I enjoy, a lot.  Maybe it's the October seclusion in a town that's shut down for the year, or the expected traditional CX weather, or a late season weekend away, the sign to the end, awesome company, or maybe I like the pain of 2 days of racing.  Whatever it is, I like it and I can't wait until next year.

I was returning to Copper Harbor as the defending Keweenaw Cup champ.  The honors for this, I got to carry the UPCross barriers.  Not really the honors but I really did get to carry the barriers.  I got a phone call early Saturday morning from Jesse B to do so and it was a perfect set up as I had room in my truck.  Packed with luggage, bikes, barriers, and a dog I was ready.

I hooked up with Sam from Keweenaw Adventure Company and rented out the bottom of his A frame.  It ended up being an awesome setup and made the weekend everything it was.  Thanks Sam.  This whole week I was look at purchasing Embro cream and was looking at Mad Alchamy.  By chance a rider had some so I decided to give it a try.  After the first initial burn it was good except for the overly tan look it gave my legs and turning all my white clothes orange but I did end up liking it.  After the application I rode the whole 20 yards form my apartment to the start for the 1st of 2 races, The Down Town Hoe Down.  The course was a bit tight all around but with a good mix of gravel, grass, and sand.  I didn't have much series points for a call up so I started second row and then missed a pedal which put me behind on a short roll out into a tight section.  Slowly moved up to 3rd wheel by the end of the lap and promptly attacked down the back stretch.  This gaped the front group of  Tyler J., Ryan T., and Colby L into small splits.  Coming around lap 2 Tyler rejoined with a gap to Ryan T.  Tyler J. led around the 2nd lap (With an apple stuck in his wheel.  It was the craziest thing I've seen.  Right there stuck in between 2 spokes.  It ended up coming out on it's own.) and we hit it hard making a 2 man split.  On the 3rd lap I noticed I had a bike length or two so I sprinted out of every corner and eventually created enough to be on my own.  The course wasn't really a rhythm course so being with someone didn't make much sense, I was OK being alone.  I kept the effort even and shot for even lap times.  It was enough to take the win by a comfortable gap.

I got a nice long cool down with Tervo and Jenema.  That was proceeded by a warm apartment, warm shower, and the most perfectly French pressed coffee I have had in awhile.  I think it's the scenario that does it.  The cold, a hard effort, the seclusion, the howling winds.  It made it perfect.  I relaxed on the couch as the Embro still warmed the legs and the coffee warmed the body.  

Day 2 was up at the Keweenaw Mt. Lodge for the Top of the World Smack down.  I made my warm-up the 15 min climb out of town.  The legs didn't feel as good as I wanted them to on day 2, which day 2 is typically good for me.  It could be I was spoiled in a perfect camp setting after a chef prepared breakfast and now I was in 50 mph winds, rain, and a mix of hail.  This course was a more open with quite a bit of pavement.  I planned for more tactics to come into play today but it didn't play out that way.  I didn't wait long to attack, within the first minute.  I pulled Tyler J. and Trevor Olson out of the group.  During the 1st and 2nd lap we all rode with small gaps to each other.  Once I figured it was not coming together I took a flyer and attempted to bare the wind and pavement on my own.  It slowly but surely worked and mid way through the race I had a good gap.  Trevor was keeping steady mid race so near the end I turned it up again to give myself more of a buffer.  My laps times may not have been as even this race but the beginning and ending efforts were good and I kept a good lead to the end.

The conclusion to a great weekend.  Back to back wins and another Keweenaw Cup (this time a plate) in the trophy case.  Everything was perfect about this weekend and I can't wait until next October, not in literal sense.    

             

No comments:

Post a Comment