Monday, August 29, 2011

Reforestation Ramble

The weekend started with the inaugural Mud Plunge in Ishpeming.  What an awesome event this was for our community. What was expected to bring in 250 or so racers ended up bringing in 700 racers and with spectators over 1000 people.  It was an awesome site to see so many people enjoying the outdoors, fitness, and Ishpeming.  I really enjoyed watching my wife, Amber, run with my Mom, my sister-in-law, and Barb D.  They competed in the all woman division and took 3rd place!  As much as I enjoy competing sometimes it is nice to watch others compete.  Especially in a fun event like the Mud Plunge.  The greatest moment, getting to watch my wife run the course and obstacles with ease.  She's in great shape and a great runner and I truly enjoy watching her compete.  Here is a video of her in the first water obstacle.  She's the 3rd one in the water.



Right after this event it was my turn to compete.  I took the short trip to Green Bay for WORS #9, Reforestation Ramble.  It is so nice to only have to drive 2 1/2 hours to race.

Before I mention my race report I have to mention how talented this WORS field is becoming.  The rising talent in this series is incredible and it's not slowing down.  This is beyond your best of the best in Guerra, Matter, Phillips, and Schouten.  Racing those guys every race is hard enough.  I'm referring to the guys that are trying to get to their level.  Typically you may see a a couple guys rising in the sport and making a run for the top but this year we have a handful.  Guys like McConnell, Stelljes, Hanes, Koenig, and Neff.  We are in the battle for the top 10 every race and occasionally one can and will take a podium spot from the bigger names.  With so much competition these races are getting faster just when you think they can't get any faster.  All this and I haven't even mentioned the names that are crazy fast and have been for years like Eppen, Peariso, Braun, Stawicki, and Krayer.  Man, the list just goes on and on.

The race had a long and fast lead out.  I stayed in the top 10 just wating for the legs to warm up.  Right before the single track and I made a jump and got in 7th position behind Matter.  He smoothly followed the wheels in front as the trail winds back and forth like a crawling snake.  Slowly but surely I lost the wheel and when we popped out the first single track the front 7 were gone.  A chase group was formed of about 10 guys. My legs starting coming to me and just in time for Shriver to attack the group.  We caught on and then I countered just trying to shrink the group.  I think  our attacks got a few off the back.  From there we pretty much created a group that stuck for the rest of the race.  About 1/2 way in we picked up Braun from the lead group and then about 3/4 the way in we picked up Eppen.  The pace must have been hot for those guys to come back.  With them we had a group of 9 or so.  Approaching the single track on the 2nd lap, to our surprise we picked up 2 more from the lead group, Guerra and Schouten.  This meant that Cole and Matter must have been blazing the trail.  We lost a couple but added 2 so we had a group of 9 again.  The tempo was high for a lot of the second lap as some tried to break the group in the single track but we were able to bridge with a big effort on the long 2 track. It stayed this way until at about mile 6 in the 3rd lap on the12 mile lap.  Hanes put tempo down and than Guerra continued it.  They created a small gap and Schouten bridged up leaving the rest of us out.  After that happened McConnell and Eppen kept up their hard pace and I was hurting but kept telling myself it's almost over.  Eppen put down a huge tempo to boost McConnell off the front and with it myself, Krayer, and Stelljes went with it.  We slowed it down for the last single track and coming down the final stretch Krayer jumped for the sprint but hit a spectator riding his bike on the trail.  Can't believe that??????  A spectator riding his bike on the trail??  I saw that happen and decided to make my move right after and got a small gap on the other 2 that I was able to keep to the finish.  After so many failures at sprints I finally pulled one off and finished 6th overall.  6th is tied for my best finish on the year.  I'm extremely pleased with my finish especially following my comments from above.  Time in the saddle was 2:18.  A longer race for a WORS event but I liked it especially coming off of O2S fitness.

Not sure if I'll go up to Fat Tire yet.  First I have to help my dad remove the roof off his house.  Then if I have enough energy after that I'll take a trip up there as it sounds like a good bunch will show up.    

No comments:

Post a Comment