Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ore to Shore

Waking up on Saturday it was like my shoulder new it was game day and it had no business showing me pain.  I'm absolutely amazed at the recovery time of my shoulder.  With the amazing help of Dr. Tim Palomaki, in just 10 days my severely separated AC joint was feeling great.  With the shoulder off my mind I was prepped for a solid 2011 Ore to Shore.

Coming into this year my goal was a top 10 finish in the Ore to Shore.  I knew that would take a great race and hard work as the competition gets better and better at the Ore.  If anything though, I know this course as well as the trail designer himself so I was going to use that as an advantage to keep me up front.  Approaching Lucy Hill I was in good position as a couple guys pounded the hill with fury.  I matched the acceleration and over the top I went with a small group compared to other years.  As we rolled through Ishpeming I think everyone was surprised at the small group of only 20-30 guys.

Rolling through the power line the selection was growing even smaller.  I was disconnected briefly but caught back on entering the pond and Gold Mind area.  The efforts were sporadic through the next few miles up to Deer Lake swamp.  The selection of riders was now down to 13 riders.  I was feeling good and I knew if I had a good Misery Hill I could stay connected up to the Noque trail.  But Misery didn't go very well and I was disconnected.  I could see them and knew I had to put my head down and ride hard to catch because I couldn't risk not being with them on the road.  If I missed them on the road my day with the group was done.  Leaving the Misery section Braun, Anderson, and Simonson were close behind so I sat up and waited for them to catch.  Simonson rolled through like a freight train and I had to sprint to catch the caboose.  I wasn't sure if we could catch them but these guys were quite confident we would so I contributed to the chase.  Sure enough we pulled them in and we were back to being a group of 13 onto the steel bridge.  The steel bridge must have turned a switch on for the guys because the punches started flying just after.  I knew I had some big efforts left to continue on but I was ready because the legs were feeling good.

The first punch came from Steinberg, then Matter, then Tristan, then Simonson, and then seemed like it repeated itself.  The efforts were big but no real space was made as the group of 13 responded quickly to each one.  Approaching the dirt road Simonson went to the front and pushed a heavy pace.  Then as we entered the trail system Matter continued the pace pushing the speeds down hill.  Sitting near the back of a now 12 man group these speeds have a lot of yo-yo and it slowly took it's tole on me.  With 13 miles to go, right before the Noque trail, Phillips but down the race hammer.  I saw it coming and I saw it go down.  There was a fury of response from the field and the yo-yo popped me quickly.  The way that attack was going I knew my day with the front group was done.  Come to find out, Phillips attack was so brutal it was the move that split the race down to 5 which then went down to 4.  I was 1 mile away from seeing the "smack."  It was my goal to make it to the "smack down" and I was so close.  Now with no one in front of me and no one behind me I was in no man TT land.

It was time to deal with my demons, riding alone.  This year I have really challenged myself to ride my best pace possible when alone.  It's so easy to relax when your not being pushed by other riders.  I didn't know how close the chasers were but I knew if I could make it to mile 10 and then ride my best pace I could hold on.  I rode a great last 10 miles and rolled in solo, 11th place.  Just outside of my goal but considering the competition ahead of me I was and am very pleased.  It was actually quite an experience to ride down the finishing mile alone and have a chance to absorb the crowd and moment.

The support this year was amazing.  The spectators go crazy for the front group as we roll through each viewing area.  Add a local boy to the front and the love gets even stronger.  Every viewing area and aid station I had people pick me out and yell my name.  Add that to my extremely supportive family and I felt like the race course was lined with only my fans.  It's hard to tell people how much support means while suffering on a bike.  Hearing a clap, a cheer, and your name allows us to find energy you didn't think you have.  When I was done I felt the love from everyone and I'm so appreciative of that.  It makes me want to win this someday just for you guys.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to cheer, say hello, and talk to me before and after the race.  I enjoy seeing and speaking with everyone of you.  Thank you to my family for extracting every ounce of energy I have through your cheers.  My wife, my parents, my brothers, my sister in laws, my nephews, my niece, my Grandma Barb, my Aunt and Uncles (Bernie, Lowell, Sherri, Rich), my cousins (Tammy, Tina, Aaron, Marissa, Vanessa) and their kids - THANK YOU!

Support: Jared Koski - bottle drops, Tim Palomaki - bottle drops, Quick Stop Bike - bike support, Fuel The Burn - coaching

Sponsors - Culvers, Meyer Family Vision, St. Onge Insurance, I-Build Construction, Palomaki Family Chiropractic, Quick Stop Bike, and A. Lindberg & Sons,

            

No comments:

Post a Comment