Wednesday, June 29, 2011

WORS #4 Subaru Cup ProXCT


In just 2 years this event has become a premier National Event.  Both for the Professionals and Amateurs.  Although it is in the middle of nowhere they have found the perfect spot to create world class course and atmosphere   I've never been to a World Cup but I have been to my fare share of events and nothing compares to the pure excitement and talent that is present at this event. I'm also taking into consideration that the World Cup athletes are saying the course and fans create a World Cup environment.  Bravo to WORS.  WORS is a a State Mountain Bike Series that I have the privilege of competing in every other weekend and has presented an opportunity for us regional guys to compete at the highest domestic level.

XC
Saturday was the XC event.  At the ProXCT events you race within your category and in my case it's Category 1.  Last year a few JR's took the top spots so I was sure to pick them out and pay attention this year.  As expected it was no different this year as the Nations/Continents best talent was present.  A few guys from CA and another from South Africa who is the current African Continental JR Champion.   

Start of the final lap
They made some small changes to the course this year bringing us straight up a ski hill and then giving us some A and B lines in the single track.  We were also riding the exact same course as the Pro's which was nice.  As always, the start seemed quite important so I targeted to be top 3 in the single track at the top of the 2 min steep climb I jumped in 3rd and was feeling pretty good.  The SA Champ got the hole shot and wasted no time in creating a gap.  I'm not sure who was 2nd in but he had a few mishaps causing a few of us to put a foot down a couple times.  We were able to jump around him but the hole shot had a huge gap already.  By the end of the first lap me and to CA kids had established a 3 man chase group.  The 2nd lap we split up as the Single track took no prisoners and rewarded the skillful riders.  The 3rd lap the 3 of us were riding solo.  I started to see a group of chasers closing in on me and I felt like there was nothing I could do in the single track to keep a safe distance.  At the beginning of the 4th and last lap the chase group had caught me.  Each one rode a steady tempo up the hill that I just could not match.  I was so concentrated on the single track it seemed to have sucked everything out of my tempo pace and I could not match them.  I instantly went from 4th to 9th.  I went into chase mode but could not close the gap as I had lost all confidence in the single track from 2 endo's I had on the 3rd lap.  I finished 9th overall in the XC.  Although I believe it is a very respectable position and the placing makes me happy I was disappointed in myself.  I was disappointed for allowing my bike to ride me instead of me riding my bike.

The best support crew!
Short Track
Short Track stands for Hurricane of Pain and it lives up to every ounce of its name.  Short Track is an all out effort for 20 min racing around a XC style course in a short circle.  It is mostly open but has a few obstacles such as small rocks, hard turns, sand, and small climbs. I was excited for the Short Track.  I was excited that it wasn't that technical and it was going to be more about fitness than the skill and I was also ready to get on that podium.

The gap after my attack
I didn't have the greatest start, I got pinched into a corner and got pushed back to about 8th.  By the end of the first lap I had worked my way up to 2nd wheel.  I didn't want to be more than 3rd wheel the whole race so I was right where I wanted to be.  By about the 3rd lap the front was handed over to me so I went up to make it as hard as possible to shrink the down the front group.  This is where I found that I had good legs. I pushed the pace up front and felt good doing it.  After noticing the a front group was established I went back a few wheels to monitor the race.  I was feeling good and didn't want to regret anything, when I looked at the clock and noticed we were 1/2 way done I launched my attack.  Nobody responded right away and after 1 lap on my own I was joined by the SA Champion.  Now I'm exactly where I want to be out front with only 1 other rider.  We stayed away for another lap or so and then we were joined shortly by a few others until the SA Champ put in his own attack.  This was the move and I could feel it.  I was quick to follow and it was back down to us 2.  3 laps to go and he put the slightest gap on me.  I put everything out there to close the gap I just couldn't do it.  With 1 lap to go another rider was chasing so I went into defensive mode.  Round the last loose gravel corner I came in conservative not wanting to wash out and he came in with nothing to lose.  In the last 100m he made up a 10 foot gap beat me by a tread length at the line.  The last conservative corner was the difference between 2nd and 3rd.  A great learning experience for me.  I was and am extremely happy with my Short Track.  3rd overall and I pushed and controlled the race.



Conclusion
This was an incredible weekend of racing and the fans were unbelievable.  The team and I have so many supporters and I can't tell you how good that feels.  The pain seems to disappear when you have people screaming your name in support.  Especially in the Short Track where it seemed their cheers we pushing me along the course.  I have to give a huge shout out to Ben Koenig who cheered me on to push to my limit, thanks Ben.  This was also a great experience for Nationals.

This goes without saying, but thank you to my family and wife who support and follow me in everything I do.  

All pictures courtesy of Straight A Photography.  

No comments:

Post a Comment