Thursday, June 23, 2011

Keweenaw Chain Drive


Every year the Keweenaw Chain Drive appeals more and more to me.  It's not the smoothest of races nor is it the bumpiest but it carries a decent rhythm that I enjoy. Ask anyone though and most likely their first response is, it's hard.  It's a race that pounds you which is weird to say about a course with some rhythm.  Could it be this relentless profile?

I've had a small chip on my shoulder with this race and I wanted to get rid of it this year.  2 years ago I crashed near the end which resulted in a nasty hazy eyed bonking finish knocking me 1 spot from the podium.  Last year I made the lead group up cemetery hill only to clip a branch resulting in a fall and losing my water bottles.  That fall was proceeded by me clipping a handlebar of a racer I tried to pass which resulted in a fall.  I missed the lead group and rode solo to another 6th place.  Learning experiences for sure but I was ready to avenge my mishaps.

The race begins with a laid back 3 mile roll out so the “race” starts at Cemetery Hill.  I kept a steady pace up the sometimes 15% grade hill making sure never to be more than 2nd or 3rd wheel.  At the top is a $50 KOM and no one had gone yet and I wasn't feeling bad so I tried but B. Matter responded and took the money.  He sat up to let it regroup so I took advantage and jumped to the front to lead out the first single track.

Having the lead into the single track I wanted to set a pace I could maintain early but ride hard enough to keep the 4 man split you see in the picture.  The split happened quite early leaving me, Anderson, Braun, and Matter.  Knowing I now created a small gap I took every hill with more effort to keep my lead up front but also to deter any chasers of trying to join.  I was feeling good on the front so I didn’t want to give it away to the strong behind.  About 55 min into the race I grabbed my first bottle in the feed zone.  Anderson rotated to the front and had one goal, go hard.  This was at mile 15.  If you look at the above profile mile 15-20 is not easy.  Add Anderson’s hard effort and it became extremely difficult.  I would be gapped in the technical stuff and bring it back on the hills.  After doing this 3-4 times I was gassed and they slowly rode away.  I seen them all again in the twisty Drunken Sailor trail and it was all split up, each one on their own.  Anderson only had about 10 seconds on me and for a moment I thought I could bring him back and maybe work together to bring back Braun.  He recovered well and went back it and I never caught him.  This left me solo in 4th place.  This was good for me because I have to learn to ride on my own at a hard pace and not rely on others to push me.  The rest of the race I challenged my skills and fitness to continue hard on my own.  I felt good at the end of the long race and finished 4th overall.  I finally got on that pesky podium.

B. Matter, D. Braun, M. Anderson, T. McFadden and all the others that travel quite a ways to make it to the UP, thank you.  It’s awesome to see the UP races getting such solid competition.  If more see the excitement and quality in UP races maybe WORS will have a UP race someday!     


Team Notes:  Glen Lerlie had one of his strongest results of the year riding to a 23rd place overall in a very good field of riders.  He looked good early climbing Cemetery Hill with the leaders and then continued his solid pace through.  Congrats Glen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment