Monday, May 23, 2011

WORS #2 Crystal Lake/Rhinelander

Rhinelander feels like a home course for me.  Instead of the usual 4-6 hour drive to any other WORS event a 2 1/2 drive felt like my back yard.  The rain moved in Saturday afternoon and I was just arriving at the venue as it started.  Not wanting to get wet I figured I would wait it out at the hotel.  Finally after 2 hours and it not letting up my wife forced me to go pre-ride and I thank her for that because it was worth it.  The trail was slick and muddy but it wasn't as bad as I expected.  I played with my PSI a bit and ended up feeling comfortable on the track.  Even though I rolled in covered in mud and soaking wet I built a bit of confidence knowing I could handle the slick conditions.

The Saturday pre ride felt good and I knew I had the chance to have some good legs.  Regardless though I was going to give every ounce of effort to be in the top at the start.  The start this year really had the set up to yo yo fast.  The good thing was is after the first effort to get with the front group I was feeling good and was settled into 7th going into the single track.

A group of 8 of us strung a long through the first half of the course as Nathan Guerra set the pace up front for the group.  A small washout by Braun caused a small split but Mike Anderson did a good job keeping it close by the time we exited the first lap of single track.  3 riders including Matter, Schouten, and Guerra had a small 10 second gap  near the end of lap 1.  Going up a hill I noticed I was still feeling good even after the fast pace and felt like there was a chance I could reconnect to that group.  Sharing pulls with Ben Koenig we bridged the gap to the 3 leaders by the end of the two track on lap 2.  Riding as a 5 man lead group now I saw Matter peak back and knew something was going to explode.  Gassed by my effort to bridge I knew if things picked up it was going to get messy.  Sure enough Matter pounded the pedals and I was quickly left as the 5th man riding solo from the front group.  I rode the rest of the 2nd lap as hard as I could not to let that gap get to big but out of the corner of my eye I caught Peariso approaching and decided we were better off together especially with the two track approaching again.  We traded pulls on the two track starting lap 3 and we really started to move.  Starting the single track Peariso let his bike dominate the bumpy course.  His smooth pace was surely bringing back the 4th place rider.  With words of encouragement from Chris (Thanks Chris) and my desire to reach my first 5 step podium spot I stuck his wheel all the way until we got within 10 seconds of Ben and he upped the speed a touch more.  I had the legs to go with him but I didn't have the skill.  His effortless motion on the single track was testing every ounce of skill and it finally did me in.  I never caught Ben but Chris did and as soon as he did I knew the 2 of them could put time on me.

On the final lap I just wanted to minimize the damage to guys ahead and keep my 6th spot.  With any luck or a fast 4th lap maybe I could bring back that final podium spot.  I never did see those guys again but I continued to pound the hills and ride the single track with care not to cause any mistakes.  With a 1/4 lap to go the rain started and it didn't take long for the track to get extremely slick.  This slowed me down a bit but I concentrated on a mistake free ride until the finishing two track and put the hammer down to the finish.  I pulled in with 6th place.

This is my best career WORS result.  I've been in the top 10 several times but I have never had a chance at the 5 step podium before and yesterday I had a real chance at that step.  Things are starting to come together both mentally and physically.  I am extremely excited about my result but being so close to that step I desire to be higher.

Pictures from Amber/Straight A Photography to come.

1 comment: