Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Injury Report

I've been part of sports my entire life.  The long list includes football, baseball, wrestling, basketball, golf, skiing, snowboarding, XC skiing, Crossfit, and Cycling.  With such a long list you would think that injury would be a common topic in my discussions but I have been very fortunate that it has not.  I've spent 1,000's of hours playing and training.  With so many hours of activity I've been very fortunate to stay away form serious injury.  I've had my nicks and bruises but the worst I have suffered in sport is tendinitis in my foot.  It seems I have avoided the big one again and I can add another one to the list of nicks and bruises.  

This past weekend I was on a training ride doing some Ore 2 Shore recon.  During my recon I take lines that I think will be the fastest giving me the slightest advantage I can get.  On a downhill line I missed my spot by an inch or two and hit a 4-wheeler rut sending my front wheel sideways which violently crushed me against the ground dragging me for 10 feet.  My first response is always to look over my bike and besides a ripped grip all seemed to be good.  I then analysed the body in which was covered in mud and blood but the shoulder was really aching.  After some moving around I knew it wasn't broke which relieved me completely but it did not take away the pain.  Being 40 min into my 3 hour ride I wasn't about to bag the ride.  I continued on for another 2 hours bearing the discomfort.  It wasn't terrible but the pain was noticeable   

Returning home the pain grew with every hour.  The stubbornness in me ignored it but then on my way to the store I ran across my friend and sponsor Dr. Tim Palomaki from Palomaki Family Chiropractic.  DAMN NEAR PERFECT TIMING.  He invited me to the clinic and sure enough after some adjustments he diagnosed it with a minor dislocation of the shoulder.  He popped me here and popped me there and then add some tape to hold things together.  Although not pain free the adjustments relieved a lot of pressure.  I told him this before but i will say it again for everyone else.  If a cyclist (anybody in this case) must have one sponsor, one doctor, or one friend than make sure it is a Chiropractor.  Dr. Palomaki does more than straighten spines he creates a healthy bod and has helped me countless of times.

It's been 3 days since the injury and although still soar it is feeling incredibly well considering the discomfort I had the last 2 days.  I've been forced to the road bike for awhile but at least it won't affect my training all that much.  I can't really pull up with the arm so I'm going to stay off the MTB until I can.  Until then I'll rest the arm on the flats of the road bike.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment