Thursday, September 30, 2010

WORS #11 Bear Paw - Tyler's Race Report

This past week was the closest WORS venue of the year with a short 2 hour 45 min drive.  It was an awesome weekend of weather and the trees changing made for a scenic ride both to WI and back to the UP.  I made the trip with Tyler J., Team Gear Grinder.  We headed down Saturday afternoon and pre rode the course.  My first thought, this course is could favor me and my ride style.  50% or so two track, hard climbs, and what seemed to always be an elevation gain.  My second thought, this course is bumpy, rooty, rocky, and for the little single track it had it took some smooth handling of the bike which I am still working on perfecting.  

Overall I did not enjoy the course that much.  You were either on fairly rough two track or in single track that was loaded with boulders and roots.  That said I handled it well and made it into a good day.  My goal was to get over the first big hill with the leaders and I was able to do that.  I hung on to the front group through the first single track and my time limit was up.  I hung as long as I could with still being smart about the rest of the race.  I settled back a bit and rode with Scott Cole, Adventure 212, and chased his teammate, Ryan Krayer for the whole first lap.  After no success I continued to stay steady but was eventually caught by Stawicki and Ted Henes.  Stawicki was really riding well and put me under some stress and not far after Ted took over and continued the single track tear.  The guys slowly but surely rode away from me in the single track on the 3rd lap as I knew I could not keep that pace and finish with a good 4th lap.  I rode the whole 4th lap chasing and keeping the pace high to keep people from catching.  I did not catch the guys but I did keep my gap from the guys chasing.  I had a strong 4th lap after struggling on the 3rd and I finished with my best WORS finish of the year, 8th overall.   


     

No comments:

Post a Comment