Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ore to Shore - Tyler's Race Report

It's not the best single track (because there is none), it's not the easiest, it's not the best two track, it's not the most climbing, and it's not flat.  For the most part there is nothing special about it but I LOVE THIS RACE!  A big reason could be that its my home race but I think it's just because it's the O2S.  It's 48 miles of epic, power, and gorilla riding.

I started doing this race 5 years ago and every year my goals get higher and the importance grows.  After last years mishap this years race meant more than ever.  It easily marked as the biggest race on my calendar.  I was out for revenge on this course.  I was out to prove to myself that I could finish top 20 and to the rest that a U.P. rider belongs at the top with the best.



A preview of the start list showed that this race was the most competitive of any year.  Showing up to the start line only confirmed that assumption.  The front line included over 5 professionals, 3 past winners, and several runner ups.  Knowing the power that was starting I knew the start was going to be fast and competitive.  My goal was to stay with the leaders for a predetermined amount of time and I achieved my goal.  It set me up in good position going into the power line where the race usually splits and it did.  A fairly large group game through Ishpeming and it didn't split until the sandy rail road grade.  A small stumble by a rider sitting 10 or so let the leaders form a group, not to be seen again.  Riders were quite sporadic through the power line until the swamp when a large group formed.  After the swamp, this year was a 200-300 yard lake 6-12 inches deep which actually sucked the energy and was quite difficult.  Not to mention we came out pretty damn wet.  The race up to the rod and gun was pretty uneventful, just hard riding.

Coming onto North Camp Rd. myself and another rider established a small gap and we continued riding tempo in attempt to lengthen the gap.  It didn't last that long as a group of 5 or so, including the Eppens, we were once again a group.  This wasn't all so bad coming onto 510 road as our group worked well together and I believe lengthen the gap of all chasing riders.  As I mentioned in the above, our group included the Eppens and when riding in a pace line the rider behind is suppose to rest but my gosh following a tandem with riders of their caliber is crazy hard but it kept the pace high.  Approaching 510 hill I was feeling great and the steps didn't bother me at all.  Entering the woods at the top of 510 we went in with 5 riders.  We stayed together until a 9er crew rider made a move on 16K hill.  I was feeling good and was ready for it and jumped the gap. We rode tempo and established a gap a gap that I actually thought was going to stick but coming out of Forestville the group was brought back together.  This was a bit disappointing because I know I just spent a lot of energy riding tempo with the 9er rider.  With that I was still feeling strong but the guys I was with were looking good.  We all came into Gold Eagle Supply parking lot together and the front 2 riders were riding tempo with their heads down and flew past the next turn.  I quickly yelled, "Right," to all other riders and 3 of us made the turn.  I really think if I wouldn't of yelled I would have been the only one to make the turn wrapping up 15th place but I'm all for a fair game and yelled.  My race etiquette will come back to help me some day.


Coming down the stretch the 2 riders I was with were looking fairly strong and I didn't want to chance a sprint with either of them.  I tossed the dice and attacked at the apartments but it only lasted 20 or so seconds.  My effort took a lot out of me and the 9er crew rider took advantage of my attack and countered.  This split us into three down the finishing stretch and it stayed that way for 18th overall.  I was so pleased with this and my goals were achieved.  It was a great moment to share with my family and friends.  I set a goal in the beginning of the year when achieved it's a great feeling.


I truly believe I have the best support crew in the business.  I water hand offs were awesome, the cheering was loud, and energy from family was felt.  I can always count on my family and crew to support me and I can't thank all of you enough.

  

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Tyler, you're killing it this year! Keep the blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete