Monday, May 20, 2013

Legs Say "Go" - WORS #1 Iola

It is not very often in racing when your legs are screaming "go" and your body yells back "no." It is most always the other way around. I suppose if you start to do this racing thing long enough your bodily experiences will find a new way to surprise you more often than not.

The site of Iola is always a good one. It is site of a new day, new opportunity, new goals, but the re-resurrection of  MTB fun. Training and racing accumulates a bucket full of pain and frustrations but bring everyone's same struggles to one venue and all becomes worth it. The unique thing about knobby tire bikes is we all share the same passion and love for the sport and no matter what ones experience in the past days or weeks WORS brings us together. Ahh yes, it is good to be back.

We were welcomed with a humid and hot 85 degree day. The sun was hiding but it didn't decrease the intensity factor of the heat. I do not usually mention the heat and can fair well in it but bring a Upper Peninsula boy down from his unseasonable 40-60 degree breezy climate into 85 degrees of humidity and the body may react. I came in feeling good and not all that nervous about the challenge in front of me. I had a lot of excitement to analyze the fitness and skill. Although my analysis is not exactly what I expected I'm happy with what came from the first effort.

As most expected the lead out was tight and competitive. The elite field has a mass of riders that can stick the start effort making positioning a battle. The change to the Iola lead out extended this battle and the front group stuck together a lot longer than usual. I lost some aggression at the start but managed to jump on the lead group in about 8th/9th. Cole was off the front and Tristan lead the chase the majority of the first lap. The group winded around the smooth single track still in tact back to the start/lap position. The 2nd time up the start climb I made the decision to ease up on my effort to keep in site the finish that was still 1:20 minutes away. The group rode away and I my objective became "Peariso" power. Known to others as "steady" or "old man" power. Even at that, my legs felt the need to go but no response from the energy stores to allow them.

Chris getting the edge in the last corner
My red line effort on the first lap altered my decision making and started to show in my line choices. The start of the 3rd lap I recovered as Justin P. approached. I jumped onto his wheel forcing myself to choose a better line and bring my alertness back. He rode well and I felt like we gained some of the time back I lost on a slow lap 2. Most of lap 4 of spent solo and all of lap 5 until the last 500 meters. The last 1/2 mile of the course I allowed my guard to drop and didn't take notice of 2 chasing riders. In no hurry I approached Michelle P. and she kindly gave me room to pass where I declined knowing 2 track approached. I sprinted the 2 track and felt someone on my wheel not knowing who. We went onto the last section of 2 track and out of nowhere the other Peariso contended me for hole shot into the last piece of single track to the finish. We ran it right to the last moment and he nabbed it. 9th to 10th in the last 500 m.

A number is a number but a result is not always the result. It was good to be back and to get a picture of the year. The late start to the WORS season leaves us with 3 straight weeks of racing. Saddle up, it's going to be a fast one.

No comments:

Post a Comment