Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"3 Up" - WORS #2 Rhinelander

It is a good day when you wake up in your own bed, the sun is shining, and the morning temps comfortable. It wasn't even 10 am yet and as I was packing the bikes it was already a great day. A few days before Sunday I had decided to travel the morning of WORS #2 Rhinelander. I do not get to do it often and there is something extra motivating and special about preparing a meal the night before and sleeping in your own house before a race. Pre-riding for a race course is one way to prepare but the other is taking care of your body and mind. 

The lead out and lead lap was good. I was positioned well in the start and was comfortable up to the hole shot. I didn't get in exactly where I preferred but sitting 4th wasn't a bad place to be. Nathan G. pounded out a great first lap. A few times making me question my effort as the dust filled my mouth creating a cotton ball on the dry course. A fairly uneventful first lap and we wrapped around for lap 2 in no hurry on the 2 track leading back out and our 4 became 5. Back into the single track and once again I rode 4th wheel. About a 1/4 way into the lap the unthinkable happened. I dropped a chain. XX1 has been solid I didn't believe it was possible to drop a front chain but it had happened. I tried to finesse it back on but nothing going. A stick had found it sway in-between the ring and chain causing it to come off. In the end, not result of the incredibly solid XX1. A fast stop and I patiently worked it back onto the ring. Any panic in this situation and I find it is takes longer than just staying calm and taking your time. The 3 rode away quick and Justin P then passed. I had been feeling pretty good so without panic I was in chase mode. Hitting every hill and punching every corner I slowly bridged the gap. It took about 5 or so minutes of high effort but I was back on. I took a moment to recover on the back and we rolled around for lap 3 in a group of 4.

Once again, we were in no hurry on the 2 track leading back to the single track which lead to a bit of impatience by me. Also, panic of Big D's teammate, the pedaling "Wicked Witch" - Chris P, steadying his way back to us. I took the front and a higher pace into the single track. I slowly gained speed taking my attack at the front. It did enough to bring the lead group down to Nathan, Big D, and me. The legs were good after the attack and in hindsight I should have just kept going until something happened with me or the group but I seen this as mistake #1 of a couple I made in the last lap. It is a hard decision to make in battle when the guys that tag your wheel are as solid as they come in single track. A rider better be on their game to ride Nathan or Big D of their wheel in tech sections.

Lap 4 went down the same as 3. I lead the entire lap but instead kept a pace to keep people from catching instead of a pace to drop riders. The 3 of us knew it was going to come down to a sprint so in my mind any wasted energy during the final lap was a loss. The final 1/2 mile is a 2 track perfect for cat and mouse games. Nathan came to the front and I came by his side blocking any chance for Big D to take a jump. The fear of Big D and his power is quite daunting and forced me into mistake another mistake. A childhood rule, "He who hesitates has loss." A coach use to yell that at me all the time and sure enough 20 years later here it was. Nathan jumped and I responded. I thought it was a perfect set up for Big D to come off of my wheel and around both of us but instead I led him array. A big mind lapse and thinking the finish line was where we started I made a small turn towards the wrong way. It was quickly fixed but it left no time to catch Nathan and no time for Darrin to come around me.

Not often you get into a 3 up sprint for the win. A blast it was and a lot learned. A victory so close, .9 seconds, it is hard to enjoy 2nd immediately but after a good CD you realize that any podium position at a WORS event is a good day. Thanks to Darrin and Nathan for a competitive day of racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment