Friday, July 29, 2011

WORS #6 Alterra Classic

I didn't have plans on attending the Alterra Classic.  I got home from a long week at Nationals the Monday before, I had a rest week planned, and it's a fairly long drive.  In the last minutes of Thursday Amber and I decided to pack the car and leave after work on Friday.  We both wanted to get away and for some reason we enjoy the city of Milwaukee.

As mentioned I had a rest week, which was perfectly planned and needed.  With every day off the bike I could feel my body getting strength and energy back.  I felt like the last months of workouts was all catching up and I was giving them a chance to work.  Usually I'm a bit slow off a rest week but during the warm up on Friday, besides a small bit of laziness, the legs felt like they had been priming the whole week.  

The race started up a hill and I missed a pedal which put me mid pack fast.  By the time we crested the top the lead out had begun and I was not in a preferable position sitting about 15th.  I moved up a few spots to about 10th and had to settle for it because Alterra likes to squeeze you into single track and not let you out for long stretches of time.  About 10-15 min nto the race there was still quite a long line of riders together as we curved in and out of this terribly twisting single track.  Over a wet spot where they placed some flat rocks my bike started bouncing a bit too much and as I started to pedal again I realized that my chain was sucked up behind the little ring.  I tried to pedal it out but it only made it worse.  I got off my bike pulled it out and placed it back on.  15 or so seconds had passed by but now I had to wait for a long line of guys to pass until I found a gap to jump back in.  No less that 15 guys went by.  I knew my chances of catching the group I was with was small.  You can't do much chasing in a group on this course.  The single track whines too much and you are in it too long to make moves.  By the end of the first lap I was by myself working my way up to the next group.  I noticed the a group ahead any 1/2 way through the 2nd lap I had attached.  I stayed with the group until the finishing climb.  I was starting to feel really good so I made a small move up the hill and noticed I had a slight gap.  I figured because the legs were good I would try to bridge to the next group.  Before I knew it I had quite the gap on the group I just left.  It was all well until a bumpy open field dropped my chain again sucking it up in the same spot as before.  Panicked, I jumped off my bike got it back on.  Back on my bike and no less than 2 pedal strokes and off again.  By this time I had played with the chain for a good 20-30 seconds and the group still had not reached me.  Just as I remounted the 2nd time I noticed them about 5 seconds back.  I really didn't want to be caught so I went hard again.  Starting the last lap I had a slight gap but they were able to real me in.  I then sat on the front during the single track to recover a bit.  About 10 min left in the race Justin P. jumped up front and we approached the finishing climb together.  He had a bit more at the end and got me up the climb.  I finished 13th.  Keeping the chain problems in prospective, a good result.

The positive thing was I felt good and legs were firing very well off a rest week.  Although I never accept anything but my best this sport is teaching me to have patience.  You will have good days and bad days, whether that means fitness or mechanical.  Race your hardest and take things as they come.  I also got some mechanical tips from Matt G. and he suggested I contact Sram about my chain dropping.  So Phil at Quick Stop took care of me and sure enough Sram admitted to a chain slack problem with their rear derailleur causing chain drop.  I have a new one on the way.            

No comments:

Post a Comment