Friday, April 22, 2011

California and Sea Otter Teaser

With being so busy in my return to the UP this past week I have had no time to recap my California training camp and Sea Otter race.  This post is more to let you know that it will come.  With a 2 1/2 day weekend I should find time to post a detailed recap.  Although, my weekends tend to be busier then my weekdays as I try to stack a lot of my week's hours during the weekend.

18 days is a long time to be away from home, my wife, my family, and my job.  When planning, it sure sounds good but it really made me realize how much I love the people and things around me.  Though I feel it is very necessary in my training to spend some alone time on the bike.  A big base period is stressful enough on its own that when you throw in a career and family it can become overwhelming.  That is why I decide to spend a week or 2 away from home each year to get some concentrated bike time.  This year the trip started in the beginning of Base 2 and will leave me with 2 1/2 weeks of Base 2 upon my return, which is a lot more tolerable than doing all 5 weeks here in the ugly UP weather.

Trip Stats:

  • 18 total days
  • 15 riding days
  • 2 days travel
  • 1 rest day
  • 11 hours of flights
  • 12 hours of layovers
  • 13 hours of driving
Riding Stat:
  • 49 hours
  • 702 miles
  • 51,000 ft of elevation/climbing
  • >45,000 calories
Racing Stats
  • 2 races (1 road and 1 MTB)
  • 32nd out of 41 Category 3 Road Race - 60 miles 5,500 ft. climbing
  • 22nd out of 131 Category 1 MTB Race - 40 miles 7,000 ft. climbing (2nd age 25-29) - This was a marathon race not an XC event.  It will be my longest race of the year.  

All this would not be possible if it wasn't for the patience of my awesome and beautiful wife Amber.  Thank you so much Amber for allowing me to chase and achieve my dream.  Thank you to my family especially my mother and father who support me with every pedal stroke.  Then of course each of my sponsors, I ride each of your names with so much pride and your support allows me to ride with a smile on my face.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment