Monday, June 21, 2010

Keweenaw Chain Drive - Tyler's Race Report

The Chain Drive has become quite the event.  Best known for its miles of single track in a point to point race it is now becoming known for its elite field.  Looking down the start line this year was some sight.  This race always brings out the better riders in the UP but it has now drawn the attention of the Midwest's best riders including 3 professionals.  You know when Brian Matter, Mike Anderson, and Chris Peariso line up its going to be a different and faster race than years prior.


For the first time in 4 years that I've been doing the Chain Drive the race did not start as a sprint.  I think with the presence of 3 pros and a hefty head wind no one wanted to lead out to cemetery hill.  That changed when we got to cemetery hill.  Like last year I wanted to be one of the first up the hill and into the single track.  I wanted to hang with the Matter, Anderson, and Peariso as long as I could getting a feel for their pace in the single track.  Peariso launched a small burst at the bottom of the climb and Anderson kept the tempo high.  I hooked Matters wheel and I didn't leave it.  I made it up the 15-18% grade hill 3rd right behind Anderson and Matter, at the last second Wells came around.  Running 4th into the single track, I felt great about this position, but that feeling didn't last too long.  Following Wells wheel and neglected to see a 1 inch branch sticking out and it grabbed me and threw me as if a 300 pound man was standing in the trail.  I was on the ground and water bottles scattered I frantically tried to reposition but had lost about 10 seconds.  Not quite in full panic mode yet I got back on pace and kept an eye on the front 3 guys.  Now behind another rider I felt like I had to put a small attack to get back on but could not with a rider in front.  I yelled up, "I gotta go." and the guy was polite about it and said next section.  He yelled, "OK" and I attempted a left side pass.  I was quickly on the ground again as our handle bars tangled and we were a caught in a web of bikes.  On the ground and water bottles scattered again I was now in full panic mode.  I remounted and settled in with Todd McFadden.  I was so disappointed at this time knowing that any chance I had to stay with the pros was gone.

I stepped down to race reality and worked with what I had.  McFadden, Swanson and I slowly worked our way up to 2 riders, which I didn't know where Jesse Bell and Tom Carpenter at the time, and formed a small group.  I was happy to see my team mate.  I knew Tom could put on an awesome temp on the single track and maybe make up some small time to the 5 guys ahead.  Right before a long section of single track I jumped 2nd wheel to Tom with McFadden, Bell, and then Swanson to follow.  Tom was so fast and smooth I noticed that the 3 behind were yo-yoing quote a bit.  I told Tom to up the tempo to see if we could make them work on the back just to stay on.  We didn't quite shed them but I believe it put enough pressure on them that when we came out of single track and approached a hill it drained them just enough.  I came around Tom to do my job and add tempo to the hills.  As I approached the top I noticed I had put a small gap of maybe 10-15 feet.  I had to quickly decide if wanted to try and keep the gap or if it was smarter to rejoin.  I said hell with it, if they catch me then I ride with them but if they don't I'm by myself.  I put in a hard effort at the top of the hill and stayed steady through the single track.  I knew we were close to an open field and figured if I can get through the field without them seeing me they might forget about me.  I attacked the field and right as I entered back into the woods I peaked back and seen no one.  This might have been my best move of the race and it was confirmed by Todd McFadden after the race when he said when they couldn't see me in that field it deflated the group.

Now on my own and with about 20 miles to go I was presented with, what pace do I ride?  Enough to stay way? Try to catch the guy in front? Or enough not to bonk with a mile to go like I did last year?  So I figured I would stay comfortable on the single track and attack every open section and uphill.  This seemed to work as I consistency put time on the group behind, confirmed by a spectator that was nice enough to give me a time check, and felt I was racing within my fitness.  The race from that point was pretty uneventful as I rode over half the course by myself.

After finding out the guy in front was 4 minutes ahead I gave up any chance of catching him. My next obstacle was climbing out of the creek with about 3 miles to go.  They drop you down into a creek and it slowly makes its way back up never really flattening until the finish.  The first accent really hurt me and I felt a small cramp so I told myself I'm better off slowing then stopping with a cramp.  I made it up and found somewhat of a second wind and finished out with a steady pace.

I finished about 1 minute ahead of the closest chaser and about 2 minutes ahead of the group I was with.  So my last 1/3 of the race was a bit slower than I wanted it and I needed the 2 minutes I put on the guys in the middle as Todd McFadden gained back over a minute on me in about 8 miles.  I had a respectable finish and was happy with the result after the small hiccups I had in the start, 6th overall.

Pictures courtesy of Straight A Photography.  (More pictures to come on Culvers blog and Straight A Photography blog.)

      

3 comments:

  1. Tyler, you get a new Superfly frame? the graphics look different than the the bike you had at the Iola race...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I had the guys at Signs Unlimited work me up some custom graphics. Same bike with a different unique style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks cool. you coming over to Eau Claire for the Firecracker?

    ReplyDelete